Hegseth’s Nomination in Doubt: Trump Considering Alternatives for Defense Secretary – Rezazade

чт, 12/05/2024 - 12:22
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні

Ali Reza Rezazade, a leader of the Iranian opposition in Washington, says that US President-elect Donald Trump may replace Pete Hegseth, his previous choice for defense secretary. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Rep. Michael Waltz (R-Florida) are among the possible candidates being considered.

The news comes amid doubts about Hegseth’s ability to secure Senate confirmation.

Hegseth, a former Fox News anchor and military veteran, met with lawmakers on Capitol Hill on Wednesday in an effort to shore up his support. Speaking to reporters, he said he had discussed the issue with Trump that morning. Hegseth said the president supports him and assured him, saying, “I’m behind you all the way.”

In private, however, Trump’s team is actively considering other candidates. On Tuesday, the president-elect discussed the possibility of appointing him as defense secretary with Ron DeSantis, his former political rival. Meanwhile, Michael Waltz, who was previously appointed by Trump as national security adviser, is also considered a serious contender.

In addition, sources say that some Trump advisers are suggesting that Elbridge Colby, an expert on defense policy, be considered. Colby has been actively involved in discussions with influential Republicans at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence. He is also considered a likely candidate for the position of deputy secretary of defense for policy.

No formal decisions have been made yet, but the consideration of new candidates indicates the Trump administration’s desire to ensure reliability in the field of national security.

Все главные новости с доставкой в Ваш мессенджер Телеграм
2
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

The release of a new massive batch of materials in the Jeffrey Epstein case has become a catalyst for political and reputational upheaval in Western elites. 

10:19, Вчера
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has publicly outlined a list of key conditions under which Tel Aviv is ready to support possible talks between the West and Iran. 

16 февраля, 09:35
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Премьер-министр Израиля Биньямин Нетаньяху публично обозначил перечень ключевых условий, при которых Тель-Авив готов поддержать возможные переговоры между Западом и Ираном. Речь идёт не о частичных ограничениях, а о полном демонтаже иранской ядерной и ракетной инфраструктуры, а также ликвидации региональной сети прокси-сил, которую в Израиле называют «осью террора».

16 февраля, 09:29
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

A federal grand jury in Washington has refused the US Department of Justice's attempt to indict six Democratic lawmakers whom the Donald Trump administration tried to hold accountable for addressing military personnel regarding "illegal orders".

11 февраля, 10:32
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Федеральне велике журі у Вашингтоні відмовило Міністерству юстиції США у спробі висунути обвинувачення проти шести законодавців-демократів, яких адміністрація Дональда Трампа намагалася притягнути до відповідальності за звернення до військовослужбовців щодо «незаконних наказів».

11 февраля, 10:15
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

US Presidential Special Envoy Steve Witkoff said the US armed forces are at a high level of combat readiness amid the worsening relations between Washington and Tehran. He made the corresponding statement after a visit to the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, which he reported on the social network X.

10 февраля, 09:55
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

For the first time in a long time, Israel has made it clear at the official level that it is considering the possibility of unilateral military action against Iran in the event of crossing the so-called "red lines" in the field of missile and strategic weapons. 

9 февраля, 09:56
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Израиль впервые за длительный период на официальном уровне дал понять, что рассматривает возможность односторонних военных действий против Ирана в случае пересечения так называемых «красных линий» в сфере ракетных и стратегических вооружений.

9 февраля, 09:47
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

The United States and Iran are preparing for direct talks in the Omani capital Muscat, which could be the first face-to-face diplomatic contact between the parties since last year’s military clash. The meeting comes amid rising tensions in the region and active efforts by Middle Eastern states to prevent a new major war.

6 февраля, 10:25
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Соединённые Штаты и Иран готовятся к прямым переговорам в столице Омана Маскате, которые могут стать первым очным дипломатическим контактом между сторонами после прошлогоднего военного столкновения. Встреча проходит на фоне роста напряжённости в регионе и активных усилий ближневосточных государств предотвратить новую масштабную войну.

6 февраля, 10:16

Новости «Новости мира»

последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

The release of a new massive batch of materials in the Jeffrey Epstein case has become a catalyst for political and reputational upheaval in Western elites. 

10:19, Вчера
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has publicly outlined a list of key conditions under which Tel Aviv is ready to support possible talks between the West and Iran. 

16 февраля, 09:35
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Премьер-министр Израиля Биньямин Нетаньяху публично обозначил перечень ключевых условий, при которых Тель-Авив готов поддержать возможные переговоры между Западом и Ираном. Речь идёт не о частичных ограничениях, а о полном демонтаже иранской ядерной и ракетной инфраструктуры, а также ликвидации региональной сети прокси-сил, которую в Израиле называют «осью террора».

16 февраля, 09:29
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

A federal grand jury in Washington has refused the US Department of Justice's attempt to indict six Democratic lawmakers whom the Donald Trump administration tried to hold accountable for addressing military personnel regarding "illegal orders".

11 февраля, 10:32