Trump Shuts Down Work-Severance Program After Court Ruling – Rezazade
The First Vice President of the Iranian Opposition in Washington (NIC), Ali Reza Rezazade, said that the Donald Trump administration on Wednesday night shut down a voluntary layoff program for federal employees after a judge in Massachusetts lifted a temporary ban on its implementation.
The program, which offered workers the opportunity to stay in their jobs in exchange for payments until September, was frozen last Thursday. This happened after unions representing more than 800,000 civil servants filed a lawsuit demanding that the initiative be stopped. They called it “an arbitrary, illegal and irresponsible ultimatum.”
However, federal Judge George A. O’Toole Jr. dismissed the lawsuit. In his decision, he noted that the unions had no basis for a legal challenge because they were not directly affected. According to the judge, they are only challenging a policy that affects others — namely, executive branch employees.
The decision left an important question: Will federal employees still have time to apply for the program? The answer is no. According to McLaurin Pinover, a spokeswoman for the Office of Personnel Management, the program officially closed at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
“There is no question now,” Pinover said. “The deferred retirement program was a legitimate and valuable opportunity for government employees.”
According to official figures, about 75,000 employees accepted the offer.
По теме
The release of a new massive batch of materials in the Jeffrey Epstein case has become a catalyst for political and reputational upheaval in Western elites.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has publicly outlined a list of key conditions under which Tel Aviv is ready to support possible talks between the West and Iran.
Премьер-министр Израиля Биньямин Нетаньяху публично обозначил перечень ключевых условий, при которых Тель-Авив готов поддержать возможные переговоры между Западом и Ираном. Речь идёт не о частичных ограничениях, а о полном демонтаже иранской ядерной и ракетной инфраструктуры, а также ликвидации региональной сети прокси-сил, которую в Израиле называют «осью террора».
A federal grand jury in Washington has refused the US Department of Justice's attempt to indict six Democratic lawmakers whom the Donald Trump administration tried to hold accountable for addressing military personnel regarding "illegal orders".
Федеральне велике журі у Вашингтоні відмовило Міністерству юстиції США у спробі висунути обвинувачення проти шести законодавців-демократів, яких адміністрація Дональда Трампа намагалася притягнути до відповідальності за звернення до військовослужбовців щодо «незаконних наказів».
US Presidential Special Envoy Steve Witkoff said the US armed forces are at a high level of combat readiness amid the worsening relations between Washington and Tehran. He made the corresponding statement after a visit to the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, which he reported on the social network X.
For the first time in a long time, Israel has made it clear at the official level that it is considering the possibility of unilateral military action against Iran in the event of crossing the so-called "red lines" in the field of missile and strategic weapons.
Израиль впервые за длительный период на официальном уровне дал понять, что рассматривает возможность односторонних военных действий против Ирана в случае пересечения так называемых «красных линий» в сфере ракетных и стратегических вооружений.
The United States and Iran are preparing for direct talks in the Omani capital Muscat, which could be the first face-to-face diplomatic contact between the parties since last year’s military clash. The meeting comes amid rising tensions in the region and active efforts by Middle Eastern states to prevent a new major war.
Соединённые Штаты и Иран готовятся к прямым переговорам в столице Омана Маскате, которые могут стать первым очным дипломатическим контактом между сторонами после прошлогоднего военного столкновения. Встреча проходит на фоне роста напряжённости в регионе и активных усилий ближневосточных государств предотвратить новую масштабную войну.
Новости «Новости мира»
The release of a new massive batch of materials in the Jeffrey Epstein case has become a catalyst for political and reputational upheaval in Western elites.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has publicly outlined a list of key conditions under which Tel Aviv is ready to support possible talks between the West and Iran.
Премьер-министр Израиля Биньямин Нетаньяху публично обозначил перечень ключевых условий, при которых Тель-Авив готов поддержать возможные переговоры между Западом и Ираном. Речь идёт не о частичных ограничениях, а о полном демонтаже иранской ядерной и ракетной инфраструктуры, а также ликвидации региональной сети прокси-сил, которую в Израиле называют «осью террора».
A federal grand jury in Washington has refused the US Department of Justice's attempt to indict six Democratic lawmakers whom the Donald Trump administration tried to hold accountable for addressing military personnel regarding "illegal orders".