US Supreme Court Allows Trump to Temporarily Halt USAID Payments – Rezazade

чт, 02/27/2025 - 12:40
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні

The first vice president of the Iranian opposition in Washington, Ali Reza Rezazade, says the US Supreme Court has granted the Trump administration’s request to temporarily halt nearly $2 billion in foreign aid that the government was supposed to restore by midnight.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. granted the temporary stay late Wednesday night, allowing time for a full hearing of the case in the Supreme Court.

The case was heard by District Judge Amir H. Ali, who gave the government until 11:59 p.m. to fulfill its obligations and restore funding to organizations working in poor regions of the world. Trump had suspended the payments in late January. Acting Solicitor General Sarah M. Harris, the administration’s chief appellate attorney, has asked the Supreme Court to block the decision. She said it had “created chaos” in the government’s operations.

Harris stressed that the court had no authority to force the administration to pay out money “at the whim of a judge.” She added that the government was willing to pay the legal amount for the work it had done, but could not follow the court’s “random” demands.

This is the second time the Trump administration has appealed to the Supreme Court after lower courts blocked its actions. Last week, the court refused to allow Trump to immediately fire Hampton Dellinger, the head of the independent oversight agency.

Immediately after his inauguration, Trump suspended payments to USAID, an agency that provides humanitarian assistance to more than 100 countries and has a budget of $40 billion. This has put millions of people who depend on U.S. aid at risk and has left thousands of USAID employees without jobs. Some of them have been left in dangerous conditions with no way to return home.

The lawsuit against the administration was filed by two organizations, the AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition and the Global Health Council. On February 13, Judge Ali, appointed by President Biden, issued a temporary injunction to stop the payments, but now the Supreme Court has allowed the Trump administration to stay the decision for now.

Все главные новости с доставкой в Ваш мессенджер Телеграм
2
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

The US president is considering the possibility of an initial limited military strike on Iran as a pressure tool to force Tehran to agree to a new nuclear deal. According to US media, this is a targeted operation against individual military or government facilities, which could take place in the coming days if a corresponding decision is made.

10:22, Вчера
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Statements by US Vice President J.D. Vance about preventing the emergence of nuclear weapons in Iran and warning Israel about its readiness to act independently indicate that the situation around Tehran has entered a new, much more tense phase. Washington openly declares: a nuclear Iran is an unacceptable scenario for global security.

19 февраля, 10:57
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Заявления вице-президента США Джей Ди Вэнса о недопущении появления у Ирана ядерного оружия и предупреждение Израиля о готовности действовать самостоятельно свидетельствуют о переходе ситуации вокруг Тегерана в новую, значительно более напряжённую фазу.

19 февраля, 10:51
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

The release of a new massive batch of materials in the Jeffrey Epstein case has become a catalyst for political and reputational upheaval in Western elites. 

18 февраля, 10:19
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has publicly outlined a list of key conditions under which Tel Aviv is ready to support possible talks between the West and Iran. 

16 февраля, 09:35
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Премьер-министр Израиля Биньямин Нетаньяху публично обозначил перечень ключевых условий, при которых Тель-Авив готов поддержать возможные переговоры между Западом и Ираном. Речь идёт не о частичных ограничениях, а о полном демонтаже иранской ядерной и ракетной инфраструктуры, а также ликвидации региональной сети прокси-сил, которую в Израиле называют «осью террора».

16 февраля, 09:29
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

A federal grand jury in Washington has refused the US Department of Justice's attempt to indict six Democratic lawmakers whom the Donald Trump administration tried to hold accountable for addressing military personnel regarding "illegal orders".

11 февраля, 10:32
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Федеральне велике журі у Вашингтоні відмовило Міністерству юстиції США у спробі висунути обвинувачення проти шести законодавців-демократів, яких адміністрація Дональда Трампа намагалася притягнути до відповідальності за звернення до військовослужбовців щодо «незаконних наказів».

11 февраля, 10:15
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

US Presidential Special Envoy Steve Witkoff said the US armed forces are at a high level of combat readiness amid the worsening relations between Washington and Tehran. He made the corresponding statement after a visit to the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, which he reported on the social network X.

10 февраля, 09:55
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

For the first time in a long time, Israel has made it clear at the official level that it is considering the possibility of unilateral military action against Iran in the event of crossing the so-called "red lines" in the field of missile and strategic weapons. 

9 февраля, 09:56

Новости «Новости мира»

последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

The US president is considering the possibility of an initial limited military strike on Iran as a pressure tool to force Tehran to agree to a new nuclear deal. According to US media, this is a targeted operation against individual military or government facilities, which could take place in the coming days if a corresponding decision is made.

10:22, Вчера
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Statements by US Vice President J.D. Vance about preventing the emergence of nuclear weapons in Iran and warning Israel about its readiness to act independently indicate that the situation around Tehran has entered a new, much more tense phase. Washington openly declares: a nuclear Iran is an unacceptable scenario for global security.

19 февраля, 10:57
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

Заявления вице-президента США Джей Ди Вэнса о недопущении появления у Ирана ядерного оружия и предупреждение Израиля о готовности действовать самостоятельно свидетельствуют о переходе ситуации вокруг Тегерана в новую, значительно более напряжённую фазу.

19 февраля, 10:51
последние новости в Украине останні новини в Україні Новости мира

The release of a new massive batch of materials in the Jeffrey Epstein case has become a catalyst for political and reputational upheaval in Western elites. 

18 февраля, 10:19